The following research data is but a minute fraction of the research associated with the potential benefit of light for health. The wide range and variety of conditions makes one recognize that the miracle of light is essential to health.
- Darkness Induced Drinking Phenomenon
- Colder Weather and Fewer Sunlight Hours Increase Alcohol Consumption and Alcoholic Cirrhosis Worldwide
- Light Therapy and Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementia: Past, Present, and Future
- Tailored light intervention improves measures of sleep, depression, and agitation in persons with Alzheimer’s and related dementia.
BENEFITS OF SUNLIGHT
CANCER SURVIVORS SLEEP QUALITY
DEPRESSION (NONSEASONAL) / SAD / BIPOLAR DEPRESSION / Pregnancy
- Bright Light Treatment in Elderly Patients With Nonseasonal Major Depressive Disorder
- Efficacy of Bright Light Treatment, Fluoxetine, and the Combination in Patients With Nonseasonal Major Depressive Disorder
- The efficacy of light therapy in the treatment of seasonal affective disorder: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
- Adjunctive Bright Light Therapy for Bipolar Depression: A Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trial
- Rapid treatment response of suicidal symptoms to lithium, sleep deprivation, and light therapy (chronotherapeutics) in drug-resistant bipolar depression.
- Retinal damage induced by commercial light-emitting diodes (LEDs).
- Age-related retinal inflammation is reduced by 670 nm light via increased mitochondrial membrane potential..
MITOCHONDRIA AND ATP (Adenosine triphosphate)
- Recharging mitochondrial batteries in old eyes. Near infra-red increases ATP.
- Near-infrared light increases ATP, extends lifespan and improves mobility in agedDrosophila melanogaster.
PARKINSON’S SLEEP WAKE CYCLE SYMPTOMS
- Poor or inappropriate lighting in schools can adversely affect children’s health and their ability to learn..
STRESS / BURNOUT
UNHEALTHY TEEN SLEEP CYCLES
- Lack of short-wavelength light during the school day delays dim light melatonin onset (DLMO) in middle school students.
- Daytime light exposure and feelings of vitality: Results of a field study during regular weekdays
- Bright light improves vitality and alleviates distress in healthy people..